Re: /dev/stderr gets unlinked 8]

From: Denis Vlasenko
Date: Fri Mar 17 2006 - 01:32:42 EST

On Thursday 16 March 2006 22:11, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> >> any good daemon closes stdout, stderr, stdin
> >
> >A real good daemon would redirect them to /dev/null.
>
> and writes to /var/log/mysql/...

And has log rotation. Apache has log rotation. Squid has log rotation.

Why they all need to have log rotation code? I forced them all to just
write log to stderr, and multilog from daemontools does the logging
(with rotation and postprocessing (for example, feeds Squid log into
Mysql db)) just fine.

But we digress. Is there any magic (mount --bind?) to make
/dev/stderr undestructible?
--
vda