Re: [RFC] Proposed manpage additions for ptrace(2)

From: Charles P. Wright
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 16:15:16 EST

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 15:02 -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > PTRACE_SYSEMU, PTRACE_SYSEMU_SINGLESTEP
> > For PTRACE_SYSEMU, continue and stop on entry to the next
> > syscall, which will not be executed. For PTRACE_SYSEMU_SIN-
> > GLESTEP, so the same but also singlestep if not a syscall.
>
> I think this is right; I had nothing to do with these :-)
I didn't have anything to do with it, but this description is correct
(if a bit confusing). I think that you should explicitly say (assuming
that Paolo does not have any objections):

PTRACE_SYSEMU only makes sense at a call's exit, not at entry.
PTRACE_SYSEMU is only practical if you want to emulate all of a
process's system calls (as is done in UML), because you can not examine
the process's registers before making the decision to emulate a call.

Charles