Re: [patch 1/1] consolidate TRUE and FALSE

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 05:43:57 EST

Anton Altaparmakov <aia21@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Various places are doing things like
> >
> > typedef {
> > FALSE,
> > TRUE
> > } my_fave_name_for_a_bool;
> >
> > These are converted to
> >
> > typedef int my_fave_name_for_a_bool;
>
> Given that the kernel now requires gcc 3.2 or later, that already includes
> a native boolean type (_Bool)?

It does?

Is it any good?

bix:/home/akpm> cat t.c
void foo()
{
_Bool b = 1;

b += 2;
}
bix:/home/akpm> gcc -O -Wall -c t.c
bix:/home/akpm>

Sigh.

> Why not use that instead of "int"?

That'd be a separate patch ;)

> Also <stdbool.h> contains:
>
> #define bool _Bool
> #define true 1
> #define false 0
>
> So we could take the bool rather than _Bool, too given _Bool looks
> rather ugly...

We have a couple of private bools and a couple of private 'true's and
`false's so I guess it'd be a simple patch. I wonder if it would have any
surprising side-effects.

(I think using `bool' is a good thing - it makes the code more readable.
It's a shame the compiler's handling of it is so useless).