Re: Error while copying file on a new filesystem

From: Leonid Kalev
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 13:51:54 EST

Sumit Narayan wrote:

Hi,

I am involved in development of a new file system. I can successfully
write/read on the filesystem partition. But when I copy or move a
file, I get this error:

[root@sumit /mnt/newfs]# mv /root/1 .
mv: writing `/mnt/newfs/1': No space left on device

And although I get this error, the file is successfully copied to the
directory and I can read the file properly after that.

Can somebody please explain why this is happening. 'df' shows that
there are free available inodes/disk space. I am using device
virtualization to provide a single mount point for multiple devices.

I would venture to guess that your filesystem handler for 'write' returned 0 as the number of bytes written, even though it wrote all the data successfully (as you say, you can read it afterwards).

regards,

Leo