Re: [2.6 patch] make UNIX a bool

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 23:30:41 EST

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 23:14:38 -0500 "James C. Georgas" <jgeorgas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-03 at 21:32 +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > We do not have to export symbols we don't want to export to modules but
> > needed by CONFIG_UNIX.
>
> Sorry, I must just be dense, or something.
>
> Is not the only difference between a modular driver and a built in
> driver supposed to be the initialization and cleanup functions?
>
> I don't see why you would have to expose any additional symbols, over
> and above the existing required symbols, to load your module.

af_unix (IE: CONFIG_UNIX) currently uses the symbol get_max_files. It
is the only module that uses that symbol, and that symbol probably should
not be exported as it's kind of an internal API. Therefore if we mandate
that CONFIG_UNIX != m, then that symbol may be properly unexported and
made private, because nothing modular would use it. Does that clear
things up?

P.S.: Please don't remove people from the CC list if you expect them to
respond to your message (Adrian Bunk readded to CC).

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett