Re: 2.6.16-rc[1-5]: soft lockups on Athlon64 X2

From: Max Kellermann
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 05:06:25 EST

On 2006/03/01 07:19, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Strange. I did remove a cond_resched() from
> invalidate_mapping_pages() so that it could be run under spinlock
> but I cannot believe that you had so many pages cached that the
> invalidate took more than ten seconds.
>
> Does the machine recover and otherwise work OK?

The mount indeed took more than ten (wallclock) seconds during which
the lockups occured, and after that it seemed usable (I rebooted
shortly after because I feared fs corruption). Normally, this mount
takes 2 seconds or so - it's a crypted 200GB XFS partition. The same
goes for the "bugged" kernel with "nosmp": mount is finished quickly.

Max