Re: hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 DMA question

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 12:14:50 EST

On 2/26/06, Mark Lord <lkml@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Jesper Juhl wrote:
> >
> > Or how about an option for the IDE driver to "not do that" that people
> > could enable if needed/wanted?
> > Or just change the code to "not do that" since we are no longer in the
> > mid-1990s?
>
> Well, yes. That's what I would do, were I still maintaining the IDE layer.
>
> But that code has become so twisted and confused since then,
> that a change like this is probably too risky/challenging for
> the current maintainers. It seems really easy to break stuff
> when touching parts of that code now, and people don't like it
> much when their hard drives get corrupted.
>
> But perhaps someone may successfully implement this.

Unfortunately my machines only have SCSI devices, so I'd have no way
to actually test a patch, otherwise I'd be happy to give it a shot - a
parameter to disable the behaviour shouldn't be too difficult to
implement, and if the default stays as the current behaviour then it
shouldn't be too controversial.
I wouldn't mind trying to hack up a patch, but it would be untested...

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>