Re: [-mm patch] x86: start early_printk at sensible screen row

From: Chuck Ebbert
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 06:11:27 EST

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 at 00:15:33 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > Use boot info to start early_printk() at the proper row on VGA console.
> >

> Define "proper".
>

> > - current_ypos = max_ypos;
> > + current_ypos = SCREEN_INFO.orig_y;
>
> Is that the place at which the boot loader left the cursor?

Yes, that's what I should have said instead of "proper".

So far I can't break it; after booting with "vga=ask" and doing some
things at the prompt, the kernel output still starts at the right place.

But the emergency fallback early_printk still starts at a fixed place
and the x86_64 'direct mapping' message will screw things up when there's
no earlyprintk boot parameter.

--
Chuck
"Equations are the Devil's sentences." --Stephen Colbert