Re: Patch to reorder functions in the vmlinux to a defined order

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 13:10:25 EST

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Rene Herman wrote:

> The notion was that having a fixed virtual mapping of the kernel would allow
> it to be loaded anywhere physically without needing to do actual address
> fixups.

Even that doesn't much help. You'd still need to fix up the actual
addresses.

Why? The virtual remapping is limited to 4MB chunks in order to be able to
remap using large pages (2MB in PAE mode). At which point there is no
advantage: you might as well just hardcode the default address to 4MB like
my trivial one-liner did (with an option for EMBEDDED people to link it
lower).

So if the point is that we want to use the same binary for both machines
with less than 4M and for bigger machines, you can't remap the kernel,
unless you start using individual pages, at which point you've destroyed
the biggest reason for doing this in the first place - since your TLB
behaviour will suck.

Linus