RE: [patch] fix ia64 hugetlb_free_pgd_range

From: Chen, Kenneth W
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 01:28:36 EST

David Gibson wrote on Thursday, February 23, 2006 8:06 PM
> But I don't see how not transforming them sometimes can be correct.
> Suppose 'floor' is only a little way below 'addr' - addr will be
> shifted down, but floor won't, so floor may now be above addr, which
> will cause weird results.
>
> Afaict the *only* thing floor and ceiling are used for is bounds
> checking the address range we're examining. How can that ever be
> right if one address has been scaled down, but the other hasn't.

The scale down isn't exactly on every address bits. Top 3 bits of
virtual address are preserved.

#define htlbpage_to_page(x) (((unsigned long) REGION_NUMBER(x) << 61)
| (REGION_OFFSET(x) >>
(HPAGE_SHIFT-PAGE_SHIFT)))

So scaled address for a hugetlb address will never be below unscaled
normal page address. That is adjusted addr will never below unchanged
floor.

- Ken