Re: [patch 0/3] New dock patches

From: Kristen Accardi
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 16:34:28 EST

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 22:05 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Hello, this is a new set of docking station patches which replaces
> > the old docking station patches. It applies to 2.6.16-rc4-mm1. It
> > is new and improved over the old version, in that it can now handle
> > laptops which define docking stations outside of the scope of PCI.
> >
> > Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on the original patches, and
> > especially to Pavel who is the only brave soul to test these patches
> > out so far :). As always, I would appreciate feedback on these
> > patches.
>
> I tested the new version from today... it works okay. It produces some
> weird messages:
>
> acpiphp: Slot [4294967295] registered
> ACPI Exception (acpi_bus-0072): AE_NOT_FOUND, No context for object
> [c1d081e8] [20060210]
> PCI: Found IBM Dock II Cardbus Bridge applying quirk
> PCI: Found IBM Dock II Cardbus Bridge applying quirk
> PCI: Transparent bridge - 0000:02:03.0
> PCI: Bus #0c (-#0f) is hidden behind transparent bridge #02 (-#0b)
> Please report the result to linux-kernel to fix this permanently
> PCI: Bus #10 (-#13) is hidden behind transparent bridge #02 (-#0b)
> Please report the result to linux-kernel to fix this permanently
> ACPI Exception (acpi_bus-0072): AE_NOT_FOUND, No context for object
> [c1d02368] [20060210]
>
> Could the code be fixed not to start numbering slots from -1?
>
> Pavel

Yeah, the problem is that laptops don't implement _SUN, which is used
for the slot numbering by the existing acpiphp code. So the slot number
will read -1 if _SUN is missing. I'm not sure if 0 is a valid slot
number, and I wasn't sure if that would make sense either. I think that
I'm going to have to provide a separate user space interface to the dock
anyway, since we now know that it's possible to have a dock station that
has no pci slots at all.