Re: Red Hat ES4 GPL Issues?

From: Jeff V. Merkey
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 12:47:23 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 11:15 -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

But anyway, what has this thread to do with the kernel?

since when does something need to be on-topic for Jeff Merkey to post to
lkml ? ;-)

I got the RPM's and located them from an earlier responder to the post. It was just disturbing
that RedHat does ont include the sources when you install from binary -- which they always have
before.

you forgot to download the cd images labeled "source".
What's the problem???

I did not download them, procuement here did and they did not grab the SRPMS iso's

I am glad Red Hat is still distributing the code, but I am disappointed they are no longer
including it in the base RPM install.

oh you don't mean the src.rpm but the full kernel source code installed?
That's explained in the release notes; it's 2 shell commands to create
it, and it's in a way silly to make an exception for the kernel here
compared to all other software. And CD real estate on the binary cd's is
scarse as well.

I know but this deviates from how they did it in the past. No worry, sooner or later Linux will get so
large in these distros, you will need a DVD to hold all of it, so I can understand if space was at a premium
on those CD iso images.

:-)

Jeff