Re: Red Hat ES4 GPL Issues?

From: Chris Adams
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 09:57:13 EST

Once upon a time, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>We got the distro via electronic fullfilment, so we did not get the
>SRPMS CD iso images by default. This was a deviation from how Red Hat
>normally distributes source code with their Linux distro.

You had the opportunity to download the SRPMS ISOs at the same time you
downloaded the binary ISOs; you chose not to. That is no different than
how any of the distributions handle things (Red Hat has always had the
binary and source ISOs available at the same location).

Also, Red Hat goes above and beyond with their source distribution; the
GPL only requires them to distribute source to their customers (those
that get the binaries), but Red Hat distributes all the RHEL source RPMs
freely on their FTP site as well as on the FTP sites of many mirrors
(that's also how they distribute debuginfo packages).

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>