Re: 2.6.16-rc4: known regressions

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 07:34:53 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
[...]
Side note: if people want to, we could have other "trampolines" like that, so that we could have more user-level code that gets distributed with the kernel. It doesn't have to be something that gets mapped into every binary either: we could - if we wanted to - have things like shared libraries or helper shell scripts or whatever that we expose in /sys/shlib/ that are kernel-version dependent.

Do you envision this being used for stuff like libalsa, libusb, a v4l2 lib, etc.?

I always felt that this kind of libraries are sort of "part of the kernel" in the sense that programs really do need them to interface with the kernel. (*)

If we had a privelidged libv4l2 library like that then things like format conversion and video encoding / decoding could be done in user space and we could provide a more "high level" standard interface for user programs.

This is the sort of thing that libalsa already does with audio software mixing (for instance) with the advantage that we need to keep the interface between libalsa and the kernel across kernel versions.

Of course, the interface exported by these libraries would now be the official kernel interface.

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

Pointy-Haired Boss: I don't see anything that could stand in our way.
Dilbert: Sanity? Reality? The laws of physics?

(*) Yeah, one can write programs that don't use the libraries, but that is just asking for trouble...