Re: [Devel] Re: Which of the virtualization approaches is more suitablefor kernel?

From: Kir Kolyshkin
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 07:01:52 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
Back to the topic. If you (or somebody else) wants to see the real size of
things, take a look at broken-out patch set, available from
http://download.openvz.org/kernel/broken-out/. Here (2.6.15-025stab014.1 kernel)
we see that it all boils down to:

Thanks. This is the first indication I have seen that you even have broken-out patches.

When Kirill Korovaev announced OpenVZ patch set on LKML (two times -- initially and for 2.6.15), he gave the links to the broken-out patch set, both times.

Why those aren't in your source rpms is beyond me.

That reflects our internal organization: we have a core virtualization team which comes up with a core patch (combining all the stuff), and a maintenance team which can add some extra patches (driver updates, some bugfixes). So that extra patches comes up as a separate patches in src.rpms, while virtualization stuff comes up as a single patch. That way it is easier for our maintainters group.

Sure we understand this is not convenient for developers who want to look at our code -- and thus we provide broken-out kernel patch sets from time to time (not for every release, as it requires some effort from Kirill, who is really buzy anyway). So, if you want this for a specific kernel -- just ask.

I understand that this might look strange, but again, this reflects our internal development structure.

Everything
seems to have been posted in a 2-3 day window at the end of January and the
beginning of February. Is this something you are now providing?

Again, yes, occasionally from time to time, or upon request.

Shakes head. You have a patch in broken-out that is 817K. Do you really
maintain it this way as one giant patch?

In that version I took (025stab014) it was indeed as one big patch, and I believe Kirill maintains it that way.

Previous kernel version (025stab012) was more fine-grained, take a look at http://download.openvz.org/kernel/broken-out/2.6.15-025stab012.1

Please let's not get side tracked playing whose patch is bigger.

Absolutely agree!

Regards,
Kir Kolyshkin, OpenVZ team.