Re: Which is simpler? (Was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.)

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 03:46:31 EST

Hi,

On Thursday 23 February 2006 00:56, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > Of course it will depend on what patch looks like, but changing
> > > assembly parts is hard -- you have to change all the architectures,
> > > and better not make any mistake.
> >
> > Yes, that would be a lot of work, so it's rather a long term
> > "vision".
>
> Ok, I have no problems with visions.
>
> > I think we should try to get the pagecache stuff right first anyway.
>
> Are you sure it is worth doing? I mean... it only helps on small
> machines, no?
>
> OTOH having it for benchmarks will be nice, and perhaps we could use
> that kind it to speed up boot and similar things...

Currently some people can't suspend with the mainline code because it cannot
free as much memory as needed on their boxes. I think we should care for them
too.

Besides, if they could suspend, we'd have more users and more testing coverage
for device drivers, especially for devices that are no longer installed in
newer boxes. ;-)

Greetings,
Rafael