Re: Kernel 'vga=' parameter wierdness

From: Asfand Yar Qazi
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 07:17:30 EST

Martin Mares wrote:
Hello!

OK, will try that. decimal of octal(0164) = decimal(116)

This won't work -- the mode numbers are hexadecimal, not octal.
Use 356 (decimal).

You're right. I thought '0164' was octal - 0 prefix.

When the modes come up on screen, they are numbered (0, 1, 2, ... a, b, etc.) This is what the 'a' refers to. Hey, it worked through LILO on 2.4 kernels.

Beware, these menu item numbers are _not_ meant to be stable across
kernel upgrades. Better use the "long" mode numbers like 0164 or 030c.

Yep, I realise that now :-)

Before I type in scan, the number for the 132x60 mode is actually 030C. After I've typed in 'scan', then it comes up as 0164. If I enter 0164 BEFORE I type in 'scan' at the vid mode, it still works. But not if I give it as argument to GRUB. As I said, will try giving decimal equivalent (116) as argument to GRUB.

You can also try giving 0x164 to GRUB.

I'll try that as well.

Have a nice fortnight

err... you too :-)