Re: [2.6 patch] make INPUT a bool

From: Herbert Poetzl
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 21:42:30 EST

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 03:31:21AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 02:34:11AM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> > > Hi Samuel,

> > > this is irrelevant since CONFIG_INPUT alone does not init any hardware.

> > > You are misunderstanding EMBEDDED.
> >
> > well, I suggested the following (or a similar)
> > change some time ago (unfortunately I could not
> > find it in the lkml archives, so it might have
> > been lost)
> >
> > http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Stuff/embedded_to_expert.txt
>
> That's not a good solution since EMBEDDED is really only about
> additional space savings - even if you are an "expert", there's no
> reason to enable EMBEDDED when building a kernel for systems
> with > 50 MB RAM.

well, not sure everybody kows that ...

config X86_P4_CLOCKMOD
depends on EMBEDDED

config VT_CONSOLE
bool "Support for console on virtual terminal" if EMBEDDED

config VGA_CONSOLE
bool "VGA text console" if EMBEDDED

config DNOTIFY
bool "Dnotify support" if EMBEDDED

config DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE
bool "Verbose BUG() reporting (adds 70K)" if DEBUG_KERNEL && EMBEDDED

but, the patch was just considered a starting point
so that folks would know _what_ EMBEDDED is currently
used for ...

> The better solution is IMHO an additional option:
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/2/7/93
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/2/7/139

whatever, just get rid of the CONFIG_EMBEDDED everybody
get's wrong and nobody really understands ...