Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

From: D. Hazelton
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 13:38:10 EST

On Monday 20 February 2006 11:41, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> "D. Hazelton" <dhazelton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Part of the problem is Jörg's expecting a solution the day before
> > > yesterday.
> >
> > Well, from some comments he made in private mails he seems to think he
> > was promised (by Linus, no less) that the DMA problems in ide-scsi were
> > going to be fixed. Instead the module was deprecated and SG_IO was
> > introduced - this seems to be one of the things he's been angry about.
>
> Even you have become a victim of the trolls :-(

Never a victim. I stick my nose where I choose - in this case I stuck it in
here because I had hoped to turn a discussion I saw descending into a
flamewar into something productive.

> SG_IO was used in ide-scsi a long time before it was needlessly introduced
> on top of /dev/hd*

Needlessly? Not true. It was missing from the layer, as all modern ATA devices
do support some form of ATAPI, which is, as you've so frequently pointed out,
a form of SCSI. So why is an unneeded thing to introduce the ability to use
that full capacity?

And here I must parrot Martin Mares - you complain about problems when not
using ide-scsi but almost all the bugs you've mentioned only occur when using
ide-scsi. Now, I'll go and finish replying to all the other mails that have
come into my inbox (on this thread) and not been sorted down because they
were directly to me.

DRH