Re: [patch] i386: another possible singlestep fix

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 17:12:03 EST

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, Chuck Ebbert wrote:

> When entering kernel via int80, TIF_SINGLESTEP is not set
> when TF has been set in eflags by the user. This patch
> does that.

This really shouldn't matter.

When we enter the kernel through "int 0x80", we don't need to do anything
about TIF_SINGLESTEP, because unlike the "sysenter" path, the "int"
instruction will automatically do the right thing (save old eflags on the
stack).

So afaik, this won't actually do anything (except make _the_ most
timing-critical path in the kernel slower). Have you actually seen any
effects of it?

Linus