ANNOUNCE: new DHCP client for linux 2.6.x

From: Stefan Rompf
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 09:34:12 EST

dhcpclient

A DHCP client for linux 2.6, using modern kernel features, (c) 2006
Stefan Rompf.

Motivation

Using a notebook, I'm often traveling between different networks.
After replugging, I always needed to issue a ifdown/ifup sequence
because the DHCP client did not realize the temporary disconnection.
This is an unneeded limitation because since 2.6, the kernel notifies
userspace of these disconnection/reconnection events. Actually is was
me who implemented this feature.

Beginning with 2.6.17, the linux kernel will allow userspace to
influence this signalling, so that for example a wpa supplicant can
tell the dhcpclient that an association has finished and the client
should try to get an IP address.

Of course, you need software that support this feature. Unfortunately,
most existing DHCP clients implemented their statemachine using
siglongjmp() or one huge function, so there was no easy way extending
them. So I wrote a new one.

Features

* RFC2131 compatible DHCP client, tested with ISC dhcpd directly and
via a Cisco IOS relay agent, Cisco IOS DHCP server and dnsmasq.
* uses netlink for interface configuration
* does act on link state messages
* calls a script on every state change to allow updating resolv.conf
etc
* small, compiles with [1]uclibc

Status

Currently, this is alpha software. It shouldn't be used in production
environment, but I'm looking forward for people who like to test it in
different environments and for (reasonable ;-) feature suggestions!

Support

The webpage is at [2]http://www.flamewarmaster.de/software/dhcpclient/

There is a mailing list available on
[3]http://www.flamewarmaster.de/mailman/listinfo/dhcpclient/