Re: Stuck creating sysfs hooks for a driver..

From: Kaiwan N Billimoria
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 06:31:32 EST

>Seewer Philippe wrote:

Hmmm...

I don't know if this'll really help, but have a look at
drivers/firmware/edd.c

>Greg KH wrote:

Have you read Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface? I think that,
combined with using the hwmon class code is what you want to use here.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h

Thanks, yes I shall look up both these..at first glance they do look promising.

One thing i'd like to point out though, Greg: the LM70 is an SPI/Microwire based system and not i2c; so straight away, the i2c interface by itself will not be used...; also, the specific board (LM70CILD-3, which i've written the 2.4 driver for & am now porting to 2.6), comes with a built-in parport interface..so that's what the driver takes into account of course..

Also it's a relatively simple temperature sensor - it does not seem to support hysteresis temperature, i/p voltages, etc. I'm saying all this as the sysfs interface i envision is just a simple read-only hook: the o/p value (after a little userspace massaging) is the temperature in Celsius correct to 0.25 degrees. So it looks to me that this particular driver necessitates a kind-of "custom" entry under /sys/class/hwmon with it's own userspace support. Do I move ahead in this direction?

Regards,
kaiwan.