Re: blatant GPL violation of ext2 and reiserfs filesystem drivers

From: Ben Slusky
Date: Fri Dec 23 2005 - 10:40:01 EST

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:27:21 -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 13:01 -0500, Kyle Moffett wrote:
> > On Dec 22, 2005, at 11:08, Robert W. Fuller wrote:
> > > Please see the following thread:
> > >
> > > http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=2132&tstart=0x
> > >
> > > Sorry I didn't get around to reporting this sooner, but at least
> > > the guilty party has had plenty of time to fail to repent.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Rob
> >
> > This case looks about as black and white as it gets (although IANAL),
> > so I'm adding gpl-violations.org-legal to the CC list.
>
> I'm not sure this is the case here or not, but it definitely brings up
> an interesting question.

It isn't the case here. (Tho' your question is interesting.)

The case here appears to be:

* Crossmeta offers "add-on" software as a free download from their web
site: <URL:http://www.crossmeta.com/downloads/crossmeta-add-1_0.zip>.
The zip file contains a text file gpl-license.txt, which says that the
add-ons are offered under the terms of the GPL.

* User downloads this GPLed software and asks the developer to provide
source code. Developer replies that the source code will be provided
only to paying customers:
<URL:http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/message.jspa?messageID=12277#12277>.

That's baad, m'kay?

--