Re: 2.6.15-rc6: known regressions in the kernel Bugzilla

From: Michael Krufky
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 20:07:36 EST

P. Christeas wrote:

On Friday 23 December 2005 12:55 am, you wrote:

Christeas,

Between 2,6,13 and 2.6.14-rc1 we had about 220 v4l patches. It would
help more if you get v4l CVS tree and try to identify the broken patch.
there weren't so many patches for cx2388x. I suspect it might be some
changes at tda9887, cx88-cards or cx88-tvaudio (the latest is the more
likely).

Actually, a -git bisection test is even easier, less work involved, and
will point you to the exact patch that caused the regression.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/isolate-bugs-with-bis
ect.txt

Cheers,
Michael Krufky

I just discovered 'bisect', too, and are using it.

Andrew, it would be nice to have a 'limited' bisect when whe know which subsystem we are narrowing to:
git bisect start drivers/media/video/cx88/
Theoretically speaking, I shouldn't even rebuild but the module alone..

No, you're incorrect. In many cases, modules from a given subsystem can break due to a change elsewhere in the kernel.

Did you drop the list cc's on purpose? (re-added)

Regards,

Mike Krufky