Re: [patch 00/10] mutex subsystem, -V5

From: Nicolas Pitre
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 16:51:56 EST

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> i definitely do not say that _everything_ should be generalized. That
> would be micromanaging things. But i definitely think there's an
> unhealthy amount of _under_ generalization in current Linux
> architectures, and i dont want the mutex subsystem to fall into that
> trap.

BTW, I strongly believe the semaphore implementation could go with the
same model the mutex model I hope is heading for.

I.e., the only thing each architecture really have to implement is
__sem_fast_down and __sem_fast _up, and incidentally they would have the
exact same definition as your atomic_*_call_if_* functions (while a bit
too restrictive for mutex semantics, they really are the minimum
required for semaphores). Then all the current per architecture
semaphore code could be consolidated.

Nicolas