Re: [patch 00/10] mutex subsystem, -V5

From: Nicolas Pitre
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 13:34:29 EST

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> I would like some more flexible way of dealing with locks in general. The
> code for the MUTEXes seems to lock us into a specific way of realizing
> locks again.

Yes, and that's what I'm attempting to prevent.

The low-level locking mechanism for mutexes needs to have the weakest
(and simplest) semantics possible without compromising the generic code
from doing its job. Setting on a strict pure atomic decrement (the
strictest semantic) or an atomic swap (better but still a tiny bit
stricter than necessary) is not required for proper mutex support with
the current core code.

Nicolas