Re: AW: Submitting patches for Kontron-boards with Freescale processors

From: Kumar Gala
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 10:24:34 EST

On Dec 21, 2005, at 4:56 AM, Claus Gindhart wrote:

Kumar,

Due to your E-Mail i have checked into the linuxppc mailing lists. I am aware now of the restructuring process in the Kernel regarding the flattened device tree for passing parameters from the Bootloader to the Kernel.

Actually all Kontron-PowerPC-Boards, (VME-, CompactPCI- and E²Brain- boards) are equipped with the Kontron NetBootLoader. This Ecos-based bootloader currently passes all parameters to the Kernel via an E²PROM-Device. We have also some custom projects using U- Boot, but our standard products all have the Kontron Bootloader.

The question is now: Will it be a mandatory requirement, that the Bootloader provides the flattened device list, or will it be allowed in future to provide a platform-specific function, which generates the flattened device tree (as we previously did within the embed_config() function, where we built the struct bd_t) ?

It is expected that the boot loader provide a flat device tree to the kernel. I'm not aware of anyone working on a wrapper to provide a flat device tree. Do realize there are tools like DTC that will produce a device tree blob based on an input file. This blob can than be handed to the kernel.

Take a look at:
http://ozlabs.org/git?p=dtc.git;a=summary

and
Documentation/booting-without-of.txt (in DTC) which talks about what arch/powerpc expects from the bootloader.

- kumar