Re: 2.6.16-rc5-mm2 - kzalloc() considered harmful for debugging.

From: Keith Owens
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 00:04:50 EST

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 02:20:59 -0800,
Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Or we could special-case kzalloc() and kstrdup() in slab.c - use
>builtin_return_address(1) if builtin_return_address(0) is within those
>functions. Dunno if that's worth the fuss though.

builtin_return_address(1) on i386 only works with stack frame pointers.
Without stack frame pointers, builtin_return_address(1) gets garbage.
builtin_return_address(0) is the only value that is guaranteed to work
with and without stack frame pointers.

Even with frame pointers, tail recursion confuses builtin_return_address(1)
on i386.