Re: vfat question

From: Tommy Reynolds
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 11:43:01 EST

Uttered Sebastian Kloska <kloska@xxxxxxxxxxx>, spake thus:

Please do not set the reply-to: mail header when sending to a mailing
list. Thanks.

> I have to admit I do not even have a clue how to get access to
> the directory table of a mounted vfat device. The whole idea
> is for manipulating the ordering of mp3-players which
> (on some devices) seems to dictate the play order.
> So if someone could point me to a good documentation
> I would appreciate it.

Accessing a mounted VFAT for this is probably not a good idea.

However, a userland solution should be possible and much easier than
trying this from the kernel.

Look at the mtools package:

http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/mtools.html

where you should find tools that do such access already. Then, start
hacking the mdir(1) tool, or some such, to sort the VFAT orders
however you like them.

Cheers