Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: David Lang
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 14:30:04 EST

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Parag Warudkar wrote:

Oh, well, one of the larger drawbacks of 4KiB stacks is the inevitable
flamewar, each time with /less/ data (this round I've seen none) supporting
the need for larger stacks, into which all kinds of idiots* are suckered.

At the same time, I haven't seen any data showing what we gain by losing the 8K
stack option. Where are the links to posts where people are claiming en masse
that 8K stacks are causing screwups, halting VM development etc.?

by goig to 4k stacks they are able to be allocated even when memory is badly fragmented, which is not the case while they are 8k.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare