Re: [patch 04/15] Generic Mutex Subsystem, add-atomic-call-func-x86_64.patch

From: Russell King
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 14:19:43 EST

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:35:22AM -0500, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> So 14 instructions total with preemption disabling, and that's with the
> best implementation possible by open coding everything instead of
> relying on generic functions/macros.

I agree with your analysis Nicolas.

However, don't forget to compare this with our existing semaphore
implementation which is 9 instructions, or 8 for the SMP version.

In total, this means that mutexes will be _FAR MORE EXPENSIVE_ on ARM
than our semaphores.

Forcing architectures down the "lets make everything generic" path
does not always hack it. It can't do by its very nature. Generic
implementations are *always* sub-optimal and it is pretty clear
that any gain that mutexes _may_ give is completely wasted on ARM
by the overhead of having a generic framework imposed upon us.

So, to sum up, if this path is persued, mutexes will be a bloody
disaster on ARM. We'd be far better off sticking to semaphores
and ignoring this mutex stuff.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core