Re: [RFC] Let non-root users eject their ipods?

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 11:46:43 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:

There's still the quirky problem of forcing a locked tray out. In some
cases this is what you want, if things get stuck for some reason or
another. But usually the tray is locked for a good reason, because there
are active users of the device.

Say two processes has the cdrom open, one of them doing io (maybe even
writing!), the other could do a CDROMEJECT now and force the ejection of
a busy drive.

I think the whole area of permissions for locking the tray and doing eject need rethinking. I won't rehash what I have said before, that if I have write permission growisofs should be able to lock the tray.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)