IOAT comments

From: Deepak Saxena
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 05:14:33 EST

Andy & Chris,

Sorry for the very very delayed response on your patch. Some comments below.

- Embedded chipsets have had DMA engines on them for a long time and
having a single cross-platform API that can be used to offload standard
kernel functions (memcpy, user_copy, etc) is a good starting point to make
use of these. However, in addition to simple memory to memory copying, the
engines on embedded devices often support memory <-> I/O space copying
(accelereted memcpy_to_io/from_io).

What I would ideally like to see is an API that allows me to allocate a
DMA channel between system memory and a device struct:

dma_client_alloc_chan(struct dma_client client*, struct device *dev);

The core would then search the DMA controller list, calling some function
[(dma_device->device_supported(dev)?] to determine whether a controller
can DMA to/from this device. Currently we have lots of CPU-specific DMA
APIs in the embedded architectures and it would be nice to have well
defined API that all drivers across all architectures could use.

Passing a NULL dev would signify that we just want to do mem <-> mem DMA.

- Make the various copy functions static inlines since they are just doing
an extra function pointer dereference.

- The API currently supports only 1 client per DMA channel. I think a
client should be able to ask for exclusive or non-exclusive usage of
a DMA channel and the core can mark channels as unvailable when
exclusive use is required. This could be useful in systems with just
1 DMA channel but multiple applications wanting to use it.

- Add an interface that takes scatter gather lists as both source and
destination.

- DMA engine buffer alignment requirements? I've seen engines that
handle any source/destination alignment and ones that handle
only 32-bit or 64-bit aligned buffers. In the case of a transfer
that is != alignment requirement of DMA engine, does the DMA device
driver handle this or does the DMA core handle this?

- Can we get rid of the "async" in the various function names? I don't
know of any HW that implements a synchronous DMA engine! It would sort
of defeat the purpose. :)

- The user_dma code should be generic, not in net/ but in kernel/ or
in drivers/dma as other subsystems and applications can probably
make use of this funcionality.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - dsaxena@xxxxxxxxxxx - http://www.plexity.net