Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: Parag Warudkar
Date: Mon Dec 19 2005 - 14:09:26 EST

On Dec 19, 2005, at 12:43 PM, Dumitru Ciobarcianu wrote:

Sloppy coding ? As long you don't have the source you can't be sure.
Point to an open source (and not tainting by just reading it) code which
uses >4k+IRQstack stacks.

First you gotta understand that I am not arguing to take away the 4K stacks - I am arguing about keeping both options and defaulting to 4K.

How do you determine how much stack space a piece of code is going to need without knowing what functionality it needs to build? There might be deeply nested, long call chains etc. which certain types of functionality might warrant. How do you prove "4K otta be enough stack for everyone doing everything", on what basis? (Reminds me of old DOS days and the famous statement relating to 640K)

Millions of flyes eat shit.
It must be a reason for having it...

Yeah, compare that same thing to FORCING 4K stacks - it sounds as illogical as the above statement.

No one is answering what are we gaining from removing the 8K stack "_option_" - few bytes of code size, reason to not fix the VM, for fun, for screwing over? Why not let people choose 8K if they need it?

Parag