Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: Parag Warudkar
Date: Sun Dec 18 2005 - 10:48:39 EST

On Dec 18, 2005, at 7:09 AM, Adrian Bunk wrote:

There is no workload where 8kB suits better.

People have pointed out that there is currently at least one incompatibility introduced by 4K stacks and there may be many others which are corner cases, that only occur under high load in obscure exceptional circumstances with large configurations and suitable nesting.

Moreover for 64 bit architectures there is no proven point that 4Kb stacks are solving a specific problem there (Like the lowmem fragmentation on i386 for e.g.). Nor can we predict for sure that in future no type of functionality will require more stack. So taking away 8Kb stack size on such arches solves no known problems and introduces artificial limitations on code complexity.

All I am asking is what is wrong with having options? You can even default to 4Kb and let people choose 8Kb when they absolutely benefit from it. Does having options introduce code bloat or what is it that is pressing so hard to remove the 8Kb "option"?

Parag