Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: Parag Warudkar
Date: Sun Dec 18 2005 - 00:10:52 EST

On Dec 17, 2005, at 3:52 PM, Adrian Bunk wrote:

And in my experience, many stack problems don't come from code getting
more complex but from people allocating 1kB structs or arrays of

And we catch this type of problems fairly easily in the patch review itself, even before accepting the code in mainline. Plus there is make checkstack to help find and fix any such issues, isn't it? So it's not like forcing the stack to 4Kb and making the offending code to crash is the best solution to force people to write code which plays nice with the stack.

I think on i386 most people do fine with the 8Kb stack - whoever benefits from 4Kb stack, can always choose the 4Kb stack config option and recompile.

Alternatively, default to 4Kb and let people choose 8Kb and recompile if that's what suits their workloads.

In any case having options doesn't hurt anything and we don't benefit in any way from taking away the 8Kb option.

My 2 cents.

Parag