Re: tulip on alpha ds10l 100MbpsFD problem

From: Tim Schmielau
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 19:17:43 EST

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Vladimir Lazarenko wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get this DS 10L going with Linux, and I hit the ceiling with the
> onboard ethernet.
> Whenever the device is in 10Mbps, and switch is in 10 Mbps, everything works
> ok (half-duplex mode). Whenever I switch to 100Mbps, I'm not able to receive
> packets. At all. Sending goes ok, i.e. I see DHCP requests on another server,
> but nothing reaches the box when data is sent to it.
>
> Similar behaviour with both de4x5 and tulip drivers.

Try to connect them to a different switch.

I had the same problem with some XP1000s some years ago. It went away when
I connected them to a different switch. Since then, the machines have been
on four different switches, and only had the problem with one of them.
Strangely it was an expensive managed switch that didn't work, while two
el cheapo 8 port switches had no problems. Somewhere I read this was a
hardware bug of the cards.

Good luck!
Tim