Re: [ckrm-tech] Re: [RFC][patch 00/21] PID Virtualization:Overview and Patches

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 12:34:47 EST

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 19:28 -0800, Gerrit Huizenga wrote:
> In the pid virtualization, I would think that tasks can move between
> containers as well,

I don't think tasks can not be permitted to move between containers. As
a simple exercise, imagine that you have two processes with the same
pid, one in container A and one in container B. You wish to have them
both run in container A. They can't both have the same pid. What do
you do?

I've been talking a lot lately about how important filesystem isolation
between containers is to implement containers properly. Isolating the
filesystem namespaces makes it much easier to do things like fs-based
shared memory during a checkpoint/resume. If we want to allow tasks to
move around, we'll have to throw out this entire concept. That means
that a _lot_ of things get a notch closer to the too-costly-to-implement
category.

-- Dave