Re: 2.6.15-rc5-mm3

From: Lenar LÃhmus
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 07:50:02 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

mm/ microoptimisations

-mm-implement-swap-prefetching.patch
-mm-implement-swap-prefetching-default-y.patch
-mm-implement-swap-prefetching-tweaks.patch
-mm-implement-swap-prefetching-tweaks-2.patch
-mm-swap-prefetch-magnify.patch

Dropped swap prefetching, sorry. I wasn't able to notice much benefit from
it in my testing, and the number of mm/ patches in getting crazy, so we don't
have capacity for speculative things at present.

For me it seems it is not so speculative. It really has effect when running with not-so-uber
memory/machine configuration.

After some big compile during lunch-time everything slowly crawls back to the screen when
I enter my password to unlock screen without these patches.

But with these applied I came back from my lunch and everything is as snappy as it was when
I left it.

This is with 256M of memory and old Duron CPU in machine. Hard disk being not too speedy either.

So, I'm really sorry to see these patches dropped instead pushing towards mainline.

Lenar