Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: Jeff V. Merkey
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 17:36:05 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 02:00:13PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This patch was already sent on:
- 11 Dec 2005
- 5 Dec 2005
- 30 Nov 2005
- 23 Nov 2005
- 14 Nov 2005

Sigh. I saw the volume of email last time and though "gee, glad I wasn't
cc'ed on that lot".

If you substract the "this breaks my binary-only M$ Windows driver" emails there's not much volume left.

Supporting 8k stacks is a small amount of code and nobody has seen a need
to make changes in there for quite a long time. So there's little cost to
keeping the existing code.

And the existing code is useful:

a) people can enable it to confirm that their weird crash was due to a
stack overflow.

b) If I was going to put together a maximally-stable kernel for a
complex server machine, I'd select 8k stacks. We're still just too
squeezy, and we've had too many relatively-recent overflows, and there
are still some really deep callpaths in there.

a1) People turn off 4k stacks and never report the problem / noone really debugs and fixes the reported problem.

Me threatening people with enabling 4k stacks for everyone already resulted in several fixes.

An how many weird crashes with _different_ causes have you seen?
It could be that there are only _very_ few problems that noone really debugs brcause disabling 4k stacks fixes the issue.

When you are on the phone with an irrate customer at 2:00 am in the morning, and just turning off your broken 4K stack fix
and getting the customer running matters. 4K stacks are a BAD idea. I have even found USER SPACE apps
that crash linux without the 8K option. Andrew has spoken. Suck it up and deal with it. It's not a problem limited to Windows
drivers.

Jeff

cu
Adrian