Re: MSI and driver APIs

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 16:17:15 EST

Benjamin> You can have multiple MSIs too (they just have to be
Benjamin> contiguous in numbers and aligned on the nearest power
Benjamin> of 2).

Good point. I just got too used to the x86-ism of the current MSI
code, which can't handle allocating contiguous vectors.

Benjamin> I'm tempted to leave them enabled and only disable them
Benjamin> when request_irq() is done on the legacy INTx... Does
Benjamin> anybody see a problem with this approach ?

You might run into trouble on hardware (think tg3 or its ilk again)
where you might have to do something beyond disabling MSI in the PCI
header to switch the chip out of MSI mode.

- R.