2.6.15-rc5-git3 perfmon2 new code base + libpfm available

From: Stephane Eranian
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 05:47:16 EST

Hello,

I have released a new version of the perfmon base package.
This release is relative to 2.6.15-rc5-git3.

I have also updated the library, libpfm-3.2, to match the kernel
level changes.

This new kernel patch includes several important changes:

- pfm_create_context() interface has changed. The sampling
buffer format argument is now passed explicitly instead
of relying on it being contiguous to pfarg_ctx_t.

- code in perfmon/perfmon.c has been split into 8
different files for improved maintainability. Each
file implements one specific function. Perfmon.c
remains the core.

- fixed several important bugs for i386 and x86_64 for
Intel P4/Xeon (simple counting was returning 0).

- added support for virtual PMD (read/write)

- added notion of read-only PMD

- Split Pentium M/P 6 PMU description in preparation for
Pentium M LBR support

- Added support for reference counting on PMU description
and Sampling buffer modules to avoid panic in case
module is removed while being used.

- On i386/X86_64, added code to handle the NMI watchdog
when it is using the Local APIC. We now use
reserve_lapic_nmi() and release_lapic_nmi().

- various other cleanups and bug fixes

You MUST use libpfm-3.2-051215 with this kernel due to
interface change for pfm_create_context().

As usual, you can download the latest packages from the
SourceForge website at:

http://www.sf.net/projects/perfmon2

I will be posting the patches directly to LKML for
review very shortly.

Enjoy,
--

-Stephane