Re: [patch 2/2] uml: Framebuffer driver for UML

From: Gerd Knorr
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 04:05:49 EST

Jeff Dike wrote:
On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 04:16:00PM +0100, Gerd Knorr wrote:
$subject says pretty much all: This adds a framebuffer driver for UML.

please apply,

Gerd

Please don't. This patch fails to link for me in -rc5 - the errors start like

drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x18b): In function `vgacon_deinit':
/home/jdike/linux/2.6/linux-2.6.15/drivers/video/console/vgacon.c:151: undefined reference to `outw'

Uh, I havn't even tried to build vgacon, it doesn't make sense for UML anyway. It's not needed, my .config looks like this:

CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y

Should be trivially fixable with some Kconfig tweaks, I'll have a look.

IIRC, I found fixes for these when I merged this into my tree. It's a nice addition, but there are aspects of this that I don't like, which is why I
haven't sent it in myself.

What exactly?

Again, IIRC, enabling this disables the normal consoles, which is fairly unfriendly.

Yep, there is no way around that because the uml consoles hijacked the vt subsystem's major #5. Unlike in older versions of that patch this isn't a compile time but a runtime option, so it's much less annonying. The uml consoles are present unless you activate the vt subsystem and the framebuffer console by boot the kernel with x11=something.

cheers,

Gerd