Re: pci unsupported PM regs version (7), means hardware isn't working?

From: Adam Belay
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 03:21:59 EST

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 05:58:20PM -0500, Ed Sweetman wrote:
> I'm getting this warning when i try to load the madwifi drivers on my
> WRAP board for the WMIA-166AG mini-pci card using kernel 2.6.13.3 and
> the latest trunk of madwifi.
>
> This is the only error that's printed before the HAL driver for madwifi
> responds with "no hardware found or unsupported hardware" etc etc. I
> had to add the pcid's to madwifi for it to even detect it enough to try
> and send it to the HAL module, but the madwifi dev team isn't looking at
> any bug reports because of this printk that's being made by the PCI
> subsystem in the kernel.
>
> So, does this printk mean anything (i've seen posts where the hardware
> producing it was working, the printks were just a nuissance) or does it
> indicate some issue the PCI subsystem is having in powering the card up
> and communicating with it. In either case, I'd be more than happy with
> providing anyone able to patch the pci code with information i have on
> the card.
>
> If it's nothing but a harmless warning, i'll forward the response to the
> madwifi wiki and mailing list, so something can be done upstream to the
> hal module to work the card.
>
> Thanks in advance.

The power management spec version reported by the driver doesn't exist as
far as I know. Would it be possible to see the output of "lspci -xxx"?

Even if the kernel isn't able to understand the PM registers, we may want
to assume the device is in D0 and print a warning. The bar restore changes
possibly have changed this behavior. As a result, pci_enable_device() would
return an error.

Thanks,
Adam