Re: tsc clock issues with dual core and question about irq balancing

From: Adrian Yee
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 23:35:08 EST

Hi Jeff,

>> My other question is about irq balancing - I turned it on, but it
>> doesn't seem to be working properly:
>>
>> CPU0 CPU1
>> 0: 109208 975 IO-APIC-edge timer
>> 1: 1226 10 IO-APIC-edge i8042
>> 8: 275272 1 IO-APIC-edge rtc
>> 9: 0 0 IO-APIC-level acpi
>> 12: 4133 4 IO-APIC-edge i8042
>> 14: 5135 8 IO-APIC-edge ide0
>> 15: 17 8 IO-APIC-edge ide1
>> 16: 25084 1 IO-APIC-level eth0
>> 17: 43597 1 IO-APIC-level eth1
>> 18: 185 5 IO-APIC-level libata
>> 19: 0 0 IO-APIC-level libata
>> 20: 11525 1 IO-APIC-level EMU10K1
>> 21: 24870 1 IO-APIC-level nvidia
>> NMI: 0 0
>> LOC: 110119 110118
>> ERR: 0
>> MIS: 0
>
> I think there is an irqbalance userspace daemon.

According to debian's package description for the irq balance package:

"Daemon to balance irq's across multiple CPUs on systems with the 2.4 or
2.6 kernel. This can lead to better performance and IO balance on SMP
systems. Useful mostly just for 2.4 kernels, or 2.6 kernels with
CONFIG_IRQBALANCE turned off."

I have the CONFIG_IRQBALANCE option turned on, so it should be balancing
the irq's itself; is it not? Would there even be any benefit from
balancing the irq's with a single dual core processor? Thanks.

Adrian