Re: [2.6 patch] offer CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE only if EXPERIMENTAL

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 18:42:24 EST

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 03:32:28PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >
> > My patch has the advantage that it doesn't allow the broken
> > CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y setting on ARM if !EXPERIMENTAL.
>
> That isn't how it was before either.
>
> Before, it _asked_ you if EMBEDDED was set, and "y" was just the default
> (but you could select "n" if you wanted to). I don't think it's
> necessarily wrong to allow a -O2 ARM or H8300 kernel, although apparently
> there are compilers that are broken that way too..
>
> So my patch should give the old behaviour for the EMBEDDED platforms, and
> _allow_ it for non-embedded unless SPARC64 is set, or EXPERIMENTAL isn't
> set.

No, your patch allows ARM users to set CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=n no matter
whether they have any options set.

Before, ARM users had to set EMBEDDED=y, and with my patch they would
have to set EXPERIMENTAL=y for getting this broken configuration.

config CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE
bool "Optimize for size (Look out for broken compilers!)"
default y
depends on ARM || H8300 || EXPERIMENTAL

does allow CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=n if ARM=y and EXPERIMENTAL=n
(which was reported as being broken).

config CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE
bool "Optimize for size (EXPERIMENTAL)" if EXPERIMENTAL
default y if ARM || H8300

does not allow CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=n if ARM=y and EXPERIMENTAL=n.

> Linus

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.