Re: [ANNOUNCE] second stable release of Linux-VServer

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 18:39:31 EST

Rik van Riel wrote:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

Well, as the OpenVZ folks announced their release on LKML
I just decided to do similar for the Linux-VServer release,
so please let me know if that is not considered appropriate.

Since there is a legitimate (and very popular) use case for
virtuozzo / vserver functionality, I think it is a good
thing to get all the code out in the open.

I really hope we will get something like BSD jail functionality
in the Linux kernel. It makes perfect sense for hosting
environments.

Like many needs there are lots of solutions, none of which are perfect, or at least without problems the competition says are important ;-) This is one more thing to study, but it seems as though there is not an overview of the various solutions for easy comparison.

This list is probably incomplete:
linuxjail - BSD jail is the goal
VMware - I use this for BSD machines
xen - the last I looked ran Linux, not Windows or BSD unpatched
UML - run Linux nicely
VServer - news to me

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)