Re: [2.6 patch] fix the EMBEDDED menu

From: Russell King
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 17:16:23 EST

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 02:05:31PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Linus,
> >
> > your patch to allow CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE even for EMBEDDED=n has broken
> > the EMBEDDED menu.
>
> It looks like that patch needs to be reverted or altered anyway. sparc64
> machines are failing all over the place, possibly due to newly-exposed
> compiler bugs.
>
> Whether it's the compiler or it's genuine kernel bugs, the same problems
> are likely to bite other architectures.

I believe there are instances where ARM fails if CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE
is not set. Luckily we have assertions in the generated assembly to
flag these as assembly errors when they happen, rather than silently
continuing to build.

Maybe CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE should be:

bool "..." if BROKEN || (!ARM && !SPARC64)

? 8)

Note also that the help text:

WARNING: some versions of gcc may generate incorrect code with this
option. If problems are observed, a gcc upgrade may be needed.

is reversed for the situation we have with ARM. Hence, I propose we
change this to something like:

WARNING: some versions of gcc may generate incorrect code if this
option is changed form the platform default. If problems are
observed, either a gcc upgrade may be needed or alternatively
the platform default should be selected (=y for ARM and Sparc64,
n for others.)

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core