Re: tsc clock issues with dual core and question about irq balancing

From: Adrian Yee
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 15:26:11 EST

Hi John,

> I was curious if you could run just as you had before without issue
> using "nosmp noapic acpi=off clock=tsc", only drop the clock=tsc bit.
>
> I just want to be sure we're only changing one variable at a time.
> :)

I also have a dmesg with those options that I can upload, but I'm not
completely sure about the validity of the sluggishness "tests" because
the system felt the same after I booted with the different
configurations this time around. ssh seems fine right now, so I guess
my Internet just happened to go bad at the same time I started play with
my hardware and kernel configurations.

I think the only solid problem I've got here is the tsc ocassionally
counting back. Is switching to clock=pmtmr the permanent/proper
solution for this, or is there a bug in the kernel/hardware that should
be fixable? Thanks.

Adrian