Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 12:21:16 EST

"linux-os \(Dick Johnson\)" <linux-os@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
>> "linux-os \(Dick Johnson\)" <linux-os@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> When the linux-BIOS group started, few knew where to start. Then,
>>> mysteriously, there was a complete directory tree of a well-known
>>> BIOS that appeared on the web. That was a start.
>>
>> Nope it wasn't. None of the developers even read the code.
>> We needed to keep our hands clean.
>>
>> Eric
>>

> Standard disclaimer #123

And it is true.

It's not like a mess of 20 year old spaghetti assembly is a useful
starting point for anything.

I sat down and I read the relevant standards documents and what
chipset documentation there was and I manged to write code.

It's not like there is anything fundamentally hard about what bootstrap
firmware does.

Not to be insulting but disbelief here sounds a lot like SCO's assertion
that Linus couldn't written linux.

Eric